A MORE INTELLIGENT PATIENT ASSIGNMENT PROCESS
In most hospitals, when patients are assigned each morning, the process is done manually. Patients are equally distributed to the rounding physicians for that day.
NOT ALL PATIENTS ARE CREATED EQUAL
But not all patients are created equal. Some require greater care, causing workloads to be heavier for some physicians. When that happens, several outcomes can occur:
- Patients can get missed during rounds.
- Physicians can get backed up on their workload, adding stress to an already busy day.
- Patients get frustrated and dissatisfied from rushed visits.
- Medical errors creep into the daily procedures.
- Added costs occur from extended length-of-stays (LOS).
NO CONTINUITY OF CARE
To compound the problem – the manual assignment process doesn’t lend itself well to matching up physicians with previous patients. Research suggests continuity improves care, both for the physician and patient. And yet, it’s practically impossible to implement with a manual patient assignment process.
A BETTER PATIENT ASSIGNMENT PROCESS FOR ROUNDING PHYSICIANS
What if the entire patient assignment process could be automated with an intelligent, rules-based “engine” that factored in multiple protocols?
What if assignments could be equitably distributed while still accounting for complicated or difficult cases?
What if an automated and intelligent patient assignment process was:
- MORE EFFICIENT
- MORE BALANCED
- AND FAIR
ASSIGN FOR PHYSICIANS: A SMARTER WAY TO MANAGE PATIENT ASSIGNMENTS
The Science of Assignments is pretty clear. Excessively increasing the workload may lead to suboptimal care and less direct patient care time.1
In addition, hospitalists report ordering unnecessary procedures, testing, and consultations when they get busy, adding more cost and risk.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF AN INTELLIGENT PATIENT ASSIGNMENT PROCESS?
- Automatically build continuity of care into the process.
- Automatically balance workloads based on patient complexity, geography and other factors
- Completely avoid missed patients during rounding. Make every patient accounted for.
- Support geographic rounding while still allowing for maximum flexibility. Be able to implement a “hybrid” approach that includes unit-based rounding and geography.
EVEN MORE BENEFITS FROM AN INTELLIGENT PATIENT ASSIGNMENT PROCESS
- Prevent costly errors from mixing up patients with the same last name.
- Improve physician morale by eliminating perceived unequitable workloads.
- Improve patient satisfaction from improved operations.
- Complete accurate assignment lists in 15-minutes instead of 90-minutes or 2 hours.
- Distribute a “clean” list to all providers of the care team.
- Eliminate lengthy email chains for sign outs, notes and tasks.
IT’S TIME TO TACKLE THE CHALLENGES OF PATIENT ASSIGNMENTS
MedAptus has spent the past four years perfecting the software. We analyzed more than 50 studies, we interviewed 200 physicians, and we now have the product helping more than 500 physicians with 100,000 patients daily across the U.S.
There’s a dramatic shift occurring in hospital medicine. Physicians are finding that meaningful assignments lead to better and safer care.
DON’T TAKE OUR WORD FOR IT.
Here’s what an administrator of a major health system said about ASSIGN for Physicians after implementing it throughout the system:
“We love the workload balancing. Physicians find it very helpful for ASSIGN to factor in discharge planning into their assignment distribution, taking into account the greater work they’ll spend with those patients.”
Let us help you improve your rounding operations. Call or email us and let’s have a discussion.