ASSIGN for Physicians is faster, safer and far more fair than assigning patients manually.
Manually assigning patients each morning can be a royal pain.
The process eats up time that could be better spent on patient care or it adds administrative costs if done by a coordinator.
In addition, it often leads to imbalanced workloads — affecting both physician satisfaction and patient care.
This is not trivial.
In a survey of rounding physicians, 40% reported their typical workloads exceeded safe levels at least once per month, while 36% reported unsafe workload levels at least once per week. Five percent even reported that unsafe workloads resulted in mortality. 
Imbalanced workloads also contribute to physician frustration and burnout. Nobody likes having a disproportionate share of the workload. And yet, despite best efforts at parity, the manual patient assignment process often fails to address the complexity of some caseloads, causing physicians to get behind or provide sub-optimal care.
OTHER COSTS FROM IMBALANCED WORKLOADS
- 22% percent of rounding physicians surveyed said they delayed admitting or discharging a patient until a subsequent shift because of unsafe workloads. 
- In another study, increased workload resulted in reduced efficiency and higher costs, including added length-of-stays. 
The bottom line — a manual patient assignment process is costly, time-consuming and carries some clinical risks.
A MORE INTELLIGENT PATIENT ASSIGNMENT SOLUTION
- What if patient assignment software could handle the complex computations of different variables, such as continuity of care, patient weighting, geography and even payer information, to balance workloads automatically?
- What if that software was also customizable, allowing you to apply the protocols that are important to you?
- What if that software meant the assignment process took just minutes to complete and instantly distributed the final list to all care team members?
- And finally — what if that software was easy to integrate with all of the major EHR systems, was 100% secure and HIPAA compliant, and was built by a company with more than 18 years of healthcare technology experience? What if it was also reasonably priced?
ASSIGN for Physicians
ASSIGN for Physicians expertly matches the right patient to the right physician by using sophisticated and customizable rules-based algorithms to handle the complexity of patient care. This does two things. First, it allows each division or group to develop its own set of protocols. Second, it means the software can handle far more patient scenarios and variables.
ASSIGN for Physicians does these complex computations for you – quickly and easily.
What’s the value to you?
- Improved handoffs and continuity of care
- Improved operational efficiency and speed
- Improved care team communications
- Improved physician satisfaction from better balanced workloads
- Improved patient safety and satisfaction
- Avoidance of added length-of-stays and re-admissions
- Avoidance of medical errors from an overburdened staff
- Reduced administrative time – either by physicians or a coordinator
A BETTER CHOICE
The choice is clear. Continue using an antiquated patient assignment method that increases clinical risks and adds costs or switch to software that does it far more quickly and equitably.
To learn more or to schedule a short demo — use this contact form.
To talk to us directly, call us at (617) 896-4000.
 JAMA Intern Med. 2013;173(5):375-377. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.1864
Impact of Attending Physician Workload on Patient Care: A Survey of Hospitalists
Henry J. Michtalik, MD, MPH, MHS; Hsin-Chieh Yeh, PhD; Peter J. Pronovost, MD, PhD; et al Daniel J. Brotman, MD
 Daniel J. Elliott, MD, MSCE1,2; Robert S. Young, MD, MS3; Joanne Brice, MD4; et al Ruth Aguiar, BA2; Paul Kolm, PhD2. Effect of Hospitalist Workload on the Quality and Efficiency of Care. JAMA Intern Med. 2014;174(5):786-793. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.300